How to attract the best applicants and recruit the right people
Recruiting the right people is easier said than done. If you Google search ‘wrong recruitment costs’, the results are terrifying – according to the CIPD, taking the upfront and hidden costs, its estimated at 2.5 times annual salary. Flip it on its head, and the impact of recruiting the right person into your business is immeasurable. That feeling of selecting the right fit to your business, fantastic.
Your priority is to recruit the A team.
Our top 5 must do’s to help you recruit an ultra-productive A team:
- Know what you need – oldies but goodies. What are the key job responsibilities – in other words, what do you want the person to do? What are the must and the nice to haves’ skills and attitude? Begin to describe the right fit for your business.
- Build your brand – utilise all the communication channels available to you. Your website, social media, word of mouth. But make sure you sell your business – communicate values, career opportunities, corporate social responsibility activities and pay / benefits.
- Best possible candidate experience – use trusted recruitment partners to help; treat candidates with respect – acknowledge all applications, set a timetable, keep them informed. Be available to give feedback to unsuccessful candidates – remember they could be a future customer. These are things that matter to candidates.
- Recruit for both skills and attitude – use a structured interview, probe when needed, personality questionnaires for the shortlist (OPQ and WAVE highly recommended).The All Blacks book, Legacy by James Kerr, explains the impact of right attitude better than I can. Recruit the right person.
- Keep people warm – Phone the successful candidate, confirm details in writing as soon as possible. Tell the team once you receive the acceptance. Engage the new employee in your business as soon as you can. Organise the introduction to the business. Remember the unsuccessful!
Download our recruitment workbook for handy hints and checklists to guide you through the recruitment process. You could also Take our questionnaire for practical leadership solutions to engage your team in growing your business: “Great things in business are never done by one person, they’re done by a team of people” – Steve Jobs
- Personal effectiveness –
- Trusted individuals – is your business totally dependent on you?
- People doing the right things – is there anything you need to do around about people development?
- Engagement in the business – how attractive is your business as an employer?
Download our workbook to recruit your ultra productive A team